Telo Island Lodge
Telo Island Lodge has two world-class waves on its doorstep. There are 18 more breaks within an hour’s boat ride, with the majority less than 20 minutes away. Even by Indonesia’s standards, this is extraordinary. The maximum guest capacity is limited to eight, and they have an industry-best guest-to-guide ratio of 4:1.
Telo Island Lodge provides one of the world’s foremost, best-serviced, surf travel experiences. They firmly tick ALL the boxes – the coldest beer, the best food, the most enjoyable waves, the most comfortable beds, the coolest bedrooms, the fastest, most comfortable transfer boat, the best safety protocols, the most experienced and friendly guides.
Situated lagoon-side in a protected pocket at the base of a small mountain, Telo Island Lodge overlooks Max’s Right – a gem of a wave, which provides an ever-changing outlook for its guests. The lodge itself is an open-plan, post-and-beam construction, fusing local North Sumatran architecture with western ideas. Spacious undercover decks and common areas are surrounded by manicured lawns and a tropical lagoon, where state-of-the-art surf transfer speedboats stand by.
Importantly, Telo Island Lodge is the only land-based surf lodge in North Sumatra with a tsunami escape zone three meters from the main building, ensuring a level of safety not available in any other surf tourism facility in the region. All rooms have King Size beds, air-conditioning and ensuite facilities, with 24/7 WiFi. Rooms are serviced twice daily, with complimentary laundry service.
- AC and en-suite bathrooms In all rooms
- King sized beds
- 2x daily housekeeping
- Satellite television
- Satellite phone is available for guest use
- Satellite WiFi is available across the property
- Complimentary laundry service
- Full-service bar
The food at Telo Island Lodge is spectacular. Meals are all-inclusive – with the exception of select alcoholic beverages – and provide fresh, healthy and hearty nourishment to maintain peak energy levels through your stay. Our Chef, Restu, has his suite of unique, signature dishes at the ready. He and his staff are also able to provide a menu based on dietary requirements (requested prior to arrival.)
The guest concierge will contact the guest representative prior to the trip to personalize all food and beverage needs so no detail is overlooked. Meals vary between buffet and table service, shared in the company of other guests. Feel free to dine in the dining room or one of the al fresco areas of the resort And let’s not get started on dessert!
Heck, it’s the reason they built the lodge! We have a myriad of over 20 surf options and nobody is better equipped or has more knowledge of the area. Their Marine Operations team are on the case 24/7 and will find the right break in the right conditions to perfectly suit your abilities.
They outline 11 beautiful Indonesian surf breaks below for which their expert guides and staff put you in the spot. The Telo region provides super consistent surf for longboards, shortboards, and bodyboards alike. Perfect reefy barrels, mixed in with long gentle faces.
In the end all of the travel, time and energy to get to a remote surf resort destination is trivially wiped away with just that one epic wave. The staff, speedboat transfers, and uncrowded region of plentiful surf is eagerly awaiting to get you out there.
The crown jewel. An intense but fun tubular right, about 20 minutes from the lodge, and named after Aussie surfing legend Grant Thomas (who holds the Telo Island Lodge Bintang record). GT’s has been compared to HT’s in the Mentawais – but without the shallow end section. This world-class tube has featured on the cover of many magazines.
A fun, sometimes challenging, bowling right out front of The Lodge that offers everything from hittable walls to tube rides. Less than 100 meters from your bedroom, this is our home break and it a sight to behold when it turns on.
An epic left point over coral, with a prehistoric backdrop. This is a wave of moods, from heart-in-mouth tubes to totally whackable walls. Located in southern part of our range, Jurassic Park requires a full days outing and a couple of hours in the speedboats to access – which is fitting for a trip back in time.
SCHOOL YARDS REGION
Made up of several separate waves, all of which work on different swell directions, the “yard” is about 10 minutes from the lodge and open to the full brunt of swell. Schoolyards can offer everything from a “Sunset Beach” style open-ocean peak, to fun hittable rights and lefts. A trip to the yard always draws a smile.
Set before one of the most stunning backdrops in the region, this super-fun right lies about eight minutes from the lodge. Pinnacles is a great longboard wave, and in certain conditions becomes one of the better breaks in the area.
A pretty righthander that runs along the edge of a nearby island. Has been compared to Lagundri Bay. At three to five feet it may be one of the most enjoyable rights on the planet. Suits beginners to intermediate surfers. 10 minutes from the lodge.
Made up of two separate reef passes, the E.R. features multiple lefts and rights. Best on a very light to medium swell, the E.R. has a wave suited to all levels of experience. Generally the surf needs to be flat at our other breaks for this to be its best. The E.R. is also home to some amazing live coral and snorkeling. 15 minutes from the lodge.
A shallow, tubing left suited for intermediate and advanced surfers. Dislocators is in a region to the south that is more suited to the advanced level surfer willing to leave a little skin on the reef. 28 minutes from the lodge.
Wegs equals Kegs. An amazing coral point, 35 minutes south of the lodge. Nothing but high-speed tubes.
A spirited, wrapping, mechanically perfect righthander. The water clarity here has to be seen to be believed and has been the location of many fine tube rides. Many personal-best speed records have been achieved here. 10 minutes from the lodge.
A very long, bowling, walling left that will throw up the occasional tube section. The left is one of the most consistent breaks in the area, and is located directly behind the lodge, a mere two-minute boat ride away. Max’s left works on the opposite winds to Max’s Right, so one of our ‘locals’ is always offshore. The left has been the location of countless memorable sessions and is a returning guest favorite.
How to Book:
1. THERE ARE FOUR WAYS TO MAKE A RESERVATION
A. BOOK ONLINE: Click the "BOOK ONLINE" button on the right side or bottom fo your desired destination/option and follow the instructions to make a deposit using our secure online reservation system.
B. SUBMIT A TRIP INQUIRY: Fill out the "Trip Inquiry" form on the right side of the page or under the "Booking Info" section on the top menu. Wavehunters will get back to you as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.
C. SEND US AN E-MAIL: Send your questions and trip inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
D. GIVE US A CALL: We are located in Carlsbad, California, USA. 760-494-7391
2. CONFIRM DATES AND MAKE DEPOSIT: Before you book online please double check that the trip you want and the dates you need match up. If you make a reservation online you will pay the deposit by credit card. We can also process credit cards offline, take checks made out to "Wavehunters Surf Travel", and we accept wire transfers, cashier's checks, money orders, or direct deposits.
3. SEND US YOUR INFORMATION: During the booking process we strive to make everything as simple and easy as possible. When you're ready to make your reservation please have your passport ready as we will need the number, expiration date, and country of issue. We will also need your flight itinerary (if we do not help set it up) as well as a few destination specific questions. If you are travleing with a group please specify the number of people in your group and their names.
4. MAKE FLIGHT RESERVATIONS (AS NEEDED): Wavehunters is a full service travel agency capable of handling all of our guest’s flight arrangements. Each destination typically requires a specific flight itinerary that needs to be confirmed by Wavehunters prior to departure. If you don’t have the time or inclination to deal with setting up your flight arrangements Wavehunters will be happy to coordinate them for you.
5. MAKE FINAL PAYMENT: You final payment is due two to four months prior to your trip's departure depending on which trip you are on. Once that's in along with the requested information you're all set to go!
6. SHOW UP: Rule #1 is to remember to not miss your flight and remember to have a passport with at least 6 months left before the expiration date.
7. SURF: Once you're at your destination the only thing you should have to to worry about is what board you should ride and where to surf. Have fun!