Wavehunters Nicaragua- Popoyo Surf Lodge
The world famous Popoyo Surf Lodge is nestled into the valleys of Nicaragua’s southern Pacific coast in Playa Guasacate. PSL rests on on a 14 acre spread of tropical gardens, amidst a surfer’s paradise, intimate and personal, with access to a seemingly endless supply of world class surf breaks. These breaks receive year round swell from the southern hemi’s and the waves are groomed to perfection by the consistent, prevailing offshore winds.
Popoyo is one of the premiere surf destinations in the country and have been hosting surfers in Nicaragua since 1999. Their mission is to provide you with a surfing experience unique to any other. They have an unparalleled knowledge of the waves, the breaks and the the local community.
Who should come here?
Popoyo Surf Lodge caters to surfers of various ability levels from advanced beginner to the most experienced of surfers and welcomes both shortboarders and longboarders (as well as boogieboarders and stand up paddle boarders). Their guides offer hands-on surf coaching throughout the tours to help bring your surfing to the next level. Although they are not a learn-to-surf school, it is possible to learn to surf in Nicaragua but best to come during the smaller wave season from November to March and make a special request for instruction and they will meet it.
If the focus of your trip is surfing and/or seeing and experiencing the real Nicaraguan countryside, beaches, community and people, and you're not looking for a tourism resort or a party scene, then Popoyo Surf Lodge is the right trip for you. The accommodations and facilities (restaurant, bar, lounge, pool) are the best in the Popoyo area, our waves, surfing tours and surf guides are the best in Nicaragua, so if you're looking for one of the best surf camps or surf lodges in Nicaragua this is it.
Popoyo Surf Lodge guests will be met at the international airport in Managua by Popoyo staff and transferred directly to Popoyo Surf Lodge which is 2.5 -3 hours away depending on road conditions. Packages include fully air-conditioned casita or cabina accommodation, 3 meals per day, most non-alcoholic beverages and daily surf tours with morning and afternoon sessions, as well as fishing.
Popoyo's hardware includes a fleet of LandCruisers and Toyota 4x4 trucks and 2 boats, a 25ft boat w/soft roof and 140 hp Suzuki outboard, and a 26ft boat w/hard roof and 140hp Suzuki outboard. Both boats are fully outfitted for surfing and fishing.
Popoyo Surf Lodge's signature facilities include:
- 10-acre property in the center of the best surf in Nicaragua
- Main rancho (big palapa restaurant/bar) with free Wi-Fi
- Cash bar which sells cold beers and mixed drinks.
- Air-conditioned lounge w/sitting area, darts, ping pong table, and pool table.
- Swimming pool and sundeck.
- WIFI internet and Satellite TV ensure you can remain connected to the grid as much as desired.
Surfing at Popoyo
At Popoyo and in the vicinity you will find a plethora of surf breaks both lefts and rights including A-frame beachbreaks, rock reefs, and even a few points (lefts), as well as some massive outer reef breaks that come alive on the biggest swells. These surf breaks along Nicaragua's southernmost Pacific coast enjoy offshore winds over 300 days per year due to effect of Lago de Nicaragua. The near constant offshore winds groom the swells into clean hollow lines and almond-shaped barrels, and even when the winds are slack or slightly onshore there can be some great waves to be had!
The surf here is often good all day, so plan on surfing 2-3 sessions per day, bring plenty of sun protection, and arrive in good physical fitness. There are surf breaks here which work on all tides, high, mid and low, so the action never stops!! Popoyo Surf Lodge's surf guides are ON IT, and will make sure you get into the waves suitable for your ability level.
The local surf shop now offers a decent selection of rental surfboards if you are having trouble bringing your boards with the airlines or are not sure about your equipment.
When to Come?
Almost any time of the year can get really good in Nicaragua. Although commonly misunderstood, the South swell season is not limited to just a few months a year and runs year-round. The biggest swells normally occur from April to October, but March or November can also pump. November to March traditionally has more moderate sized surf and is a great time for less advanced surfers to visit who are not seeking bigger waves.
Mar/Apr: Dry season months with moderate to strong offshore winds blowing all day and consistent swell usually moderate+ size and sometimes big especially in April.
May/Jun: Big south swells frequent and swells very consistent. Transitional months between the dry and wet season. Still lots of offshores but not as strong as Mar/Apr, with possibility of some onshores developing (mostly in the pm).
Jul/Aug/Sep: Continued peak season south swell similar to May/Jun. Lots of moderate offshores. Some possibility of onshores (mostly in the pm) which can become more prevalent during tropical weather fronts which are more likely towards the later part of this period.
Oct: This can be the rainiest month of the year or may not rain hardly at all and be the best month of the year. Every year is different so roll the dice, or not. Possibility of onshores, particularly in the PM hours.
Nov/Dec: This is the beginning of the dry season. Sandbars at their best and many new surf breaks form. Consistent S swell still hits Nicaragua throughout this period but more moderate in size typically compared to peak season. Ideal time for beginners and intermediates. Generally completely uncrowded.
Water temps: Range from 75F-82F, with the coolest water temps likely during the period of the heaviest offshores from Dec-Apr and the warmest temps likely from May-October.
(5) Casitas: Poolside, nice decor, modern construction, AC, full sized double beds, TV w/Satellite, designer bathroom w/hot water, sitting area w/furniture.
The floor plan of the Casitas is open with spacious living and sleeping areas. We offer accommodation on a Private or Shared basis.
(3) Cabinas: Renovated original Popoyo Surf Lodge accommodations for the traveler on a budget including AC and private bathroom w/hot water. 2 Cabinas have a double bed, and 1 cabinas has 2 twin beds.
How to Book:
1. THERE ARE FOUR WAYS TO MAKE A RESERVATION
A. BOOK ONLINE: Click the "BOOK ONLINE" button on the right side or bottom fo your desired destination/option and follow the instructions to make a deposit using our secure online reservation system.
B. SUBMIT A TRIP INQUIRY: Fill out the "Trip Inquiry" form on the right side of the page or under the "Booking Info" section on the top menu. Wavehunters will get back to you as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.
C. SEND US AN E-MAIL: Send your questions and trip inquiries to email@example.com.
D. GIVE US A CALL: We are located in Carlsbad, California, USA. 1-760-413-1513
2. CONFIRM DATES AND MAKE DEPOSIT: Before you book online please double check that the trip you want and the dates you need match up. If you make a reservation online you will pay the deposit by credit card. We can also process credit cards offline, take checks made out to "Wavehunters Surf Travel", and we accept wire transfers, cashier's checks, money orders, or direct deposits.
3. SEND US YOUR INFORMATION: During the booking process we strive to make everything as simple and easy as possible. When you're ready to make your reservation please have your passport ready as we will need the number, expiration date, and country of issue. We will also need your flight itinerary (if we do not help set it up) as well as a few destination specific questions. If you are travleing with a group please specify the number of people in your group and their names.
4. MAKE FLIGHT RESERVATIONS (AS NEEDED): Wavehunters is a full service travel agency capable of handling all of our guest’s flight arrangements. Each destination typically requires a specific flight itinerary that needs to be confirmed by Wavehunters prior to departure. If you don’t have the time or inclination to deal with setting up your flight arrangements Wavehunters will be happy to coordinate them for you.
5. MAKE FINAL PAYMENT: You final payment is due two to four months prior to your trip's departure depending on which trip you are on. Once that's in along with the requested information you're all set to go!
6. SHOW UP: Rule #1 is to remember to not miss your flight and remember to have a passport with at least 6 months left before the expiration date.
7. SURF: Once you're at your destination the only thing you should have to to worry about is what board you should ride and where to surf. Have fun!