The North African country of Morocco lies directly in the path of all major North Atlantic swell activity, yet is far enough south (between 20N and 35N) to avoid the same storms and weather fronts that pound Europe. On the edge of the Sahara, Morocco enjoys desert sun and seasonal water temperatures in the low 70s in early fall dropping to high 50s in the dead of winter. Morocco is best known for its right pointbreaks, but also has many reefbreaks and beachbreaks of high caliber as well.
While Morocco is a massive county with over 2000km of coastline, Wavehunters and our partner Surf Maroc focus on the region north of Agadir also known as Taghazout. This is Morocco's best known surfing zone and contains over 2 dozen documented breaks. What makes it special is the presence of a massive headland along this part of the coast that bends the winds into an offshore direction, cleaning up swells that are often overpowering and crossed up elsewhere, as well as a very indented rocky coastline with many rock and sand points, reefs and quality beachbreaks tucked in. In short, it is a dense wave zone with all the waves you need within an hour drive of Taghazout. For the surfer on 1 or 2 week holiday who doesn't have time or resources to explore the whole country, this zone is perfect. Add to the mix Surf Maroc's full range of accommodations, surfside restaurant and lounge in town, expert surf guiding and trip hosting, and Morocco's mind-blowing cultural diversity and you have a truly exotic surf trip.
There are some things you must know about traveling in Morocco in advance to avoid unpleasant surprises. The languages are Arabic, Berber, and French. English is not really spoken except by tourists. Surf Maroc's multi-lingual staff is just so key because of the language barrier you will encounter everywhere. The currency in use is Moroccan Dirham, which you must exchange in the airport. There is not an ATM in Taghazout it is about a 15min drive. Credit cards are not accepted in most places, so you really will need Moroccan Dirham to play. A 30 day tourist visa is issued upon entry for Americans and Europeans (other nationalities please inquire). Your passport must be valid a full 6 months beyond entry. The electricity is 220V with two-pin round plugs.
Getting to Morocco:
Wavehunters normally books flights for Americans from New York with Royal Air Maroc directly into Casablanca with connecting service to Agadir. Other major gateways to Morocco including London, Paris and Madrid. Contact us for itineraries and pricing.
Wavehunters Morocco Tour Packages include:
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation in a Private Apartment (Option of Killers Bay, Taghazout or Tiggers Bay) or Surf Villa/Camp.
- Breakfast and dinner at Surf Maroc's L'Auberge Restaurant in Taghazout. Packed lunch with sandwiches, snacks and drinks provided on surfing tours. (Breakfast and dinner may be delivered to apartment if preferred).
- Surf guide and transport all day, every day. (Option of Private or Shared Surf Tours)
Morocco's coast has the most direct swell exposure to NW swells in the North Atlantic. Surf season is late September to early April (peak Dec-Feb). This can make for an overabundance of swell at any other region but with the lined up points and sheltered spots, even the largest swells of winter can be well groomed in the area. As far as wind and tide go, the normal winter-wind is North-east, blowing offshore to moderately cross-shore. In mid to late April, the NW "Chergui" winds blowout most spots until September. Tides can be an issue at the points with low to medium being the preferred tides for the area. But when there is swell running, you can still get really fun smooth walls for big turns, not to mention the beachbreaks in the area. The tides vary from 2-6 feet making them not extreme, but definitely mushing out the waves when the dead of high tides come.
|SWELL||AIR TEMP||SEA TEMP||WETSUIT|
|Sept - Nov :||4 - 8 ft||77F-86F||65F– 70F||shorts/shortie|
|Dec- Feb :||4 - 15 ft||65F – 79F||58F– 65F||3/2 full suit|
|Mar - May :||4 - 6 ft||68F – 86F||65F – 68F||3/2 full - short arm 3/2|
|Jun - Aug :||2- 4 ft||77F – 86F||70F +||Shorts/ vest|
The region has something for everyone, from ideal beginner to intermediate level sand and rock points and beachbreaks to challenging hollow points and reef ledges for more advanced surfers. Deep water swell heights in this part of the Atlantic can reach 15ft but the refraction of the swell around the numerous points and bays of this area will cut the swell size down by as much as 30-70% depending on how sheltered the particular spot is. Because of the sheer # of spots in this area, and other variables such as swell direction and size, tide (big tides here) and wind, a surf guide is invaluable to ensure you don't spend your entire day driving around on a fruitless search.
Accommodations : Amouage (New for 2016-2017!)
There are 3 floors to the building: Garden/pool floor, Ground floor and 1st floor. There's an infinity pool, Bar, Spa, Restaurant, pool and table football, cinemas and wetsuit shower and drying area, all at the waters edge in Taghazout, overlooking the ocean and anchor point.
On the Ground floor- there are 3 sea view twin/ double bedrooms with balconies and 3 larger sea view with window balcony (juliet balcony) double/twin or triple
1st floor- Corner suite double/twin with balcony, 3 sea view with balcony double/twin, 3 sea view larger without balcony double/twin or triple, 1 dorm x 8 person on high quality bunks 2 x showers 2x toilets non-sea view, 6 non sea view twin/double
All rooms en-suite.
Accommodations : Killers Bay - Deluxe
Killers Bay luxury apartments are set in one of the most stunning surfing locations in the world. Situated on the peeling right and left reef break of la Source, the waves are so close you can almost touch them. The famous point break Killers rolls in to the right and the easy long fun waves of Mysteries are to the left. Just after Mysteries is the world class Anchor point only a 2 minute walk along the beach. There are also ideal beginners' waves in Killers bay and Mysteries bay.
We have 9 beautiful, chic, newly built luxury apartments available. Each apartment is individually appointed in contemporary Moroccan style and is finished to the highest standard. All of the accommodation has private balconies or patios which look out across the landscaped gardens, pool area and onto the breathtaking set up of 4 of the best surf breaks in this part of the world.
Every apartment has a large comfortable living room with tv and satellite system. The open plan kitchen has a fridge, cooking hobs, and oven. The bathrooms have a tiled finish throughout and bathroom towels are supplied. Eight of the apartments have one double bedroom and a twin. There is one deluxe apartment which is larger and has three bedrooms.
Accommodations : Taghazout Apartments - Moderate
Taghazout private apartments are up the point with a short 5 minute walk to the waves out front. The apartments are smaller in size than Killers Bay, but are very safe and have all the amenities of a small one or two bedroom Western apartment.
L'Auberge restaurant, operated by Surf Maroc, is the best in town, serving delicious homemade food and fresh juices from 7am to 11pm. The restaurant and its terrace is the perfect place to relax in the sun between surfs, and our kitsch Moroccan style chillout lounge is one of the most popular cozy spots in the village. Plush lounge with friendly faces and WIFI is perfect for chilling out anytime.
Accommodations : Taghazout Villa/ Surf Camp - Budget
Our original and famous Taghazout Villa, located at the water's edge on Hash point, has nine comfortable bedrooms. Unique and characteristic with a cool and beachy deco, the villa boasts a perfect view of Anchor Point, Hash point and the Super wedge and with other surf spots within walking distance... It is little surprise it remains one of our most popular locations.
- spacious beach side villa on hash point
- our closest property to anchor and killer point
- large range of room types
- sociable layout
- 9 rooms in total: 2 en-suite twins/ doubles, 4 doubles / twin rooms, 3 triple / quads, 3 large shower rooms, 4 toilets, 23 person capacity
Eat, drink , socialze
- communal dining on large rustic wooden tables and benches overlooking taghazout points breaks
- excellent chefs providing the very best Moroccan and international cuisine
- multi level terraces and outdoor lounge areas to socialise or relax in privacy
- board games, and library of books, magazines etc
- TV, DVD and media player
- ipod connection for surround sound
- indoor and outdoor lounge areas
- free wireless internet access
- lots of sunbathing space
- large terrace and balcony
- indo balance board
Services and facilities
- villa hosts and concierge service
- surf camp - transport and chauffeured guiding with lunch
- coaching - fully equipped surf school
- surf photographers- snapping your progress over your stay.
- laundry service
- multilingual staff
- daily maid service
- 24/7 live in care taker
Accommodations : Additional Options
Villa Mandala – Moderate Option
Situated right in front of Banana beach, tucked away from the market's hustle and bustle and standing out as the best villa in the area, Mandala is the perfect surf and yoga escape.
The large, private ocean front terrace has plenty of space for basking in the sun by Mandala's pool or lazy afternoons in shady spots. Seconds from fantastic surf of Banana Point, Onze and Douze, Mandala incorporates privacy and a soulful individuality.
How to Book:
1. THERE ARE FOUR WAYS TO MAKE A RESERVATION
A. BOOK ONLINE: Click the "BOOK ONLINE" button on the right side or bottom fo your desired destination/option and follow the instructions to make a deposit using our secure online reservation system.
B. SUBMIT A TRIP INQUIRY: Fill out the "Trip Inquiry" form on the right side of the page or under the "Booking Info" section on the top menu. Wavehunters will get back to you as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.
C. SEND US AN E-MAIL: Send your questions and trip inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
D. GIVE US A CALL: We are located in Carlsbad, California, USA. 1-760-413-1513
2. CONFIRM DATES AND MAKE DEPOSIT: Before you book online please double check that the trip you want and the dates you need match up. If you make a reservation online you will pay the deposit by credit card. We can also process credit cards offline, take checks made out to "Wavehunters Surf Travel", and we accept wire transfers, cashier's checks, money orders, or direct deposits.
3. SEND US YOUR INFORMATION: During the booking process we strive to make everything as simple and easy as possible. When you're ready to make your reservation please have your passport ready as we will need the number, expiration date, and country of issue. We will also need your flight itinerary (if we do not help set it up) as well as a few destination specific questions. If you are travleing with a group please specify the number of people in your group and their names.
4. MAKE FLIGHT RESERVATIONS (AS NEEDED): Wavehunters is a full service travel agency capable of handling all of our guest’s flight arrangements. Each destination typically requires a specific flight itinerary that needs to be confirmed by Wavehunters prior to departure. If you don’t have the time or inclination to deal with setting up your flight arrangements Wavehunters will be happy to coordinate them for you.
5. MAKE FINAL PAYMENT: You final payment is due two to four months prior to your trip's departure depending on which trip you are on. Once that's in along with the requested information you're all set to go!
6. SHOW UP: Rule #1 is to remember to not miss your flight and remember to have a passport with at least 6 months left before the expiration date.
7. SURF: Once you're at your destination the only thing you should have to to worry about is what board you should ride and where to surf. Have fun!