Savor the gourmet culinary offerings of Chef Zac’s amazing international cuisines. You will enjoy the convenience of meals and drinks included in Mark and Dave’s all inclusive program. They offer Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free and specialty dishes upon request (please inform Wavehunters prior to your departure). They also provide various drinks and one case and a half of beer per guest.
Wavehunters Nicaragua Overview
Wavehunters has exclusively partnered with Mark and Dave's to offer a deluxe oceanfront surf experience in the heart of the Nicaraguan Riviera.
Wake up in the morning, walk out of your room or casita and watch the waves breaking from the tranquil Hacienda. Mark and Dave's offers an all-inclusive package and a relaxing environment that sleeps up to 12 guests. It is located on two acres of immaculate beachfront property and was built by a team of Nicaraguan craftsmen in traditional style. Enjoy the infinity swimming and lap pool, and exclusive access to one of Nicaragua's best golf courses.
There is no need to use a boat to access the surf, although this is an option for day trips and excursions. They are located directly in front of Ponga Drops and Colorado's, known as the best wave in Nicaragua, is only a three minute walk away.
Mark and Dave's offer oceanfront accommodations, spectacular scenery, unparalleled ocean views, and myriad surfing adventures. Guests enjoy a restful retreat accentuated by refreshing offshore breezes in one of the most beautiful regions in Nicaragua.
When to Go:
Nicaragua is blessed with an abundance of good waves, offshore winds and sunny weather almost all year-round. Mark and Dave's is situated at the heart of the Nicaraguan Riviera in front of the best waves the country has to offer, a climate that averages around 80 degrees and water temps that hover around 75-85 degrees. The surf rarely drops below two-feet at any time during the year and bigger swell events up to eight-feet are likely April-October.
Instead of searching for waves via boat or a sketchy 4-wheel drive mission, their guests are already at the most wave-fertile beach in Nicaragua -- no boat or car required and no reason to go anywhere else! With the wind almost always offshore due to "the Lago Nicaragua effect," be prepared for a good mix of barreling beachbreaks, reefs and points during your visit. Since Mark and Dave's place is located directly on the beach, you can pick and choose when you want to surf, hit up a round of golf or capture another magical sunset in paradise. They've got you covered.
Come down and escape your day-to-day life to enjoy the Nicaraguan culture and the beauty of the tropics. Turn off your computer and cell phone and immerse yourself into the daily peace and serenity. Sit back in the pool and enjoy a cold drink while watching your friends surf in front of the house. There is nothing better than being in paradise -- make the most if it!
Wavehunters is a full service travel agency capable of handling all of our guest’s flight arrangements. Trips to Nicaragua require guests to fly to Managua and then take a shuttle transfer to the coast. If you don’t have the time or inclination to deal with setting up your flight arrangements Wavehunters will be happy to coordinate them for you.
- Gourmet breakfast, lunch, snacks and sunset hors d’oeuvres, and four course dinner
- Vegetarian, pescatarian, gluten free and vegan meals (upon request prior to arrival).
- 1.5 cases of beer or 3 bottles of wine per guest
• Seven nights oceanfront living on the best beach at the best location in Central America.
• Airport transfers with food and drink. Two and a half hours to house in a spacious 24 passenger van.
• Three incredible meals per day with App's every pre-sunset. Pre breakfast starts at 5:30 a.m. then hot breakfast at 8. Hours for lunch are from 11:30-2 p.m. and then everyone sits down together for dinner at 7 p.m.
• House comes with several long boards, 1- 11 ft. SUP and 4 INT soft top 8 ft. long boards. The INT's are perfect to learn on. Also fun if you have had a few cold ones and want to have some fun with your buddies. We do have a good assortment of short boards to rent if you don't want to hassle bringing your own.
• All drinks with 1.5 cases of beer per guest.
• Unlimited wireless internet.
• Satellite T.V. and Apple T.V. on our big 60" LED flat screen. Also 20" flat screens in every room with DVD player.
• Service- Their managers will take care of your every want and need. You want a massage, fishing (best from Mar-Oct), canopy tour, volcano tour, horseback riding, golfing, etc.? You name it they will have it for you. Your biggest worry may be how to stay up for dinner cause you did so much in one day. Come join us for an unforgettable trip and you will understand why the surf industry and our returning guests have only one spot to stay in Nicaragua, Mark and Daves. See ya soon.
*Packages do not include airfare to Nicaragua or staff gratuity.
What to expect when touching down in Nicaragua.
- Once you arrive into Managua a representative will greet you at the airport and transfer you to a passenger van
- On the way to Mark and Dave’s you will travel back in time through a landscape of grass fields, active volcanoes, and colonial cities. Sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. Cold drinks are provided in the van along with a stop (est.2 hours into the drive) in Rivas for a Pizza lunch. Pizza is ordered in route, so there will be little time waiting.
- Back on the road you will wind your way towards the ocean and eventually onto a 12 mile (35 minutes) road to Mark and Dave’s.
- Once you arrive at the “Hacienda” there is little reason to leave. With some of the best surf at your doorstep, fishing and a private golf course. Our staff can accommodate you with horseback riding and an assortment of other activities within the region.
- Your daily routine will focus on the waves and activities available inside the compound; however, if you are interested in a surf excursion, fishing, or sight seeing, our ground staff in Nicaragua will help coordinate whatever you desire.
- Once your trip is complete, you’ve got your last surf in and are ready to go – you will head back to the airport 2 1/2 hours away, catch your flight, and we’ll see you again next year!
You will have private access to two of the best waves in Nicaragua -- Colorado's & Ponga Drops. Most guests prefer to stay at the house and surf the waves on the local beach exclusively, but Mark and Dave's guide can also book a charter boat or take you to other surfing locations.
The premiere break is Colorado's, arguably one of the best beachbreaks in Nicaragua, if not Central America. Any hint of south swell gets funneled into A-frame peaks groomed to perfection by the constant offshore wind. The wave itself is a never-ending mix of barrels, peaks, sections and ramps that revolve around the mood of the ocean and tides. No two days are ever the exact same but one thing is for certain: Colorado's can dish out incredible barrels when the elements come together. Its power will surprise you at times, and it's one of the most consistent spots in Central America. Be prepared to break a board or two during your visit, but also be prepared to get some of the best rides of your life over one of the best sandbars imaginable. For most surfers visiting Nicaragua, Colorado's is only accessible by a lengthy boat ride requiring you to wake up at 5am, head to the dock, load up and head for the break. You will be able to wake up, enjoy a fresh cup of coffee, rub the sleep from your eyes and simply look down the beach to get the latest surf report.
Ponga Drops, aka "Mark and Dave's" is a deepwater peak that breaks over a relatively tame rock reef. It's an absolute magnet for swell and has the uncanny ability to turn any ripple the Pacific Ocean throws at it into something overhead and rippable for all skill levels. Ponga Drops is more sensitive to stiff offshore winds than surrounding waves because it breaks pretty far offshore; but with lights winds or no wind at all you should expect a very playful right that breaks all the way through to the inside, as well as a mellow left ideal for multiple cutbacks. It can hold any size without closing out and, on its better days, has been compared to a cross between tame Sunset Beach and a fun day at Windansea. Best of all, your friends can heckle you from our infinity pool as you drop in!
The beach stretches for over a mile and besides these two spots, the entire area has the ability to transform into a very good beachbreak depending on wind, swell and tide. Other breaks in our vicinity that you can access if you decide to rent a truck or allow us to set up a guide for you include: Astellero, Chacosante, Manzanillo, Outer Reef, Playgrounds, Santanas, The Right and many more.
Don't feel like traveling with boards? Mark and Dave's also offers a Firewire/Slater Designs surfboard rental program to let you travel as light as possible and utilize their state of the art quiver.
Marlk and Dave's was built with the intention of providing a hassle-free, safe surf experience at an affordable rate.
The house's greatest asset is their massive palapa lounge areas. When out of the surf, you'll find yourself relaxing in the palapas 95% of the time, checking out the waves, doing yoga, watching TV, listening to music or swinging in the hammock. All your meals are eaten in the open air -- the definition of a core surf trip! Each air-conditioned room provides adequate sleeping for two with two new "pillow top" full beds, each with a sense of warmth and identity. Each room comes with a small closet and drawers to store clothes and bags, TV/DVD, iPod stereo dock and private bathroom with sink, toilet, shower and bath towels. We encourage our guests to bring down their cell phones with international coverage and computers equipped with Skype to make free or very inexpensive phone calls through our unlimited wireless Internet connection. No extra charges; bring your laptop and plug in. Electrical outlets are the same as the United States.
“The Hacienda” crowns the property and is loosely connected by shady terraces and a palm-vaulted walkway to the guest rooms, an unforgettable space for welcoming guests. The open-air, 40-foot thatch palapa is the inner sanctum of the property and offers an outdoor retreat anytime of the day. Relax in the morning while sipping coffee and checking the surf, enjoy a cold beverage with friends and family while watch the sunset, and enjoy flavorful hors d’oeuvres before an amazing dinner. “The Hacienda” is the perfect setting to start and end the day. A walkway sits behind the inner sanctum of the Hacienda to the guest rooms, with four additional individual rooms providing independence and privacy.
Get out of the sun and stay cool and refreshed! The relaxing infinity-pool and terrace are shaded by a woven thatch roof and surrounded by the beauty of tropical paradise. Sit back and watch your friends surf Panga Drop’s while relaxing for yet another surf session at one of the three breaks in walking distance.
The lap pool sits parallel with the sandy shoreline of the Pacific Ocean in which endless ocean and shoreline views are made for entertaining guests and relaxing, all while enjoying our completely inclusive dining experience, game of ping pong with friends, or just sit at the Iguana bar while watching the sunset and enjoy a cold beverage. Steps away from every room on the property enjoy magnificent views of the sea.
The style emphasizes a sensual blend of local colors, textures, and materials in a manner that renders the structure an integral part of its environmental surroundings. Traditional hardwoods with elements of tropical modernism set the mood for a calming tropical oasis. Mark and Dave’s provides a blissful ocean front escape in a perfect tropical setting.
Down a grass path from “The Hacienda”, you will discover “The Casita”, a circular, palm-thatched building with a traditional thatch roof. While a 20 foot circular wall encases the building, the front of the structure is open with panoramic windows, creating views of the waves and headlands. Combined with a mesmerizing 13-foot-tall ceiling, the Palapa makes a stunning tropical “air conditioned” guest room that is perfect for couples or groups of two or three. A queen sized bed, full sized couch bed, and modern bathroom retreat offer a sanctuary away from the heat of the tropics.
Surrounded by the sea and set among beautifully maintained gardens with mature trees and tropical plants, The Casita’s setting allows for tranquility and peaceful relaxation. Stay cool with air-conditioning or open the windows in the evening to enjoy the refreshing ocean breeze.
The Hacienda Rooms
Centrally located and steps away from “The Hacienda”, four private and individual individual “air conditioned” guest rooms, with private bathrooms and showers, await you. Each room provides two full size beds, comfortably adequate for sleeping two. Enjoy restful sleep on these amazing pillow top beds. Travel in comfort and enjoy our media player with over 300 movies and an iPod docking station. The Hacienda rooms are perfectly equipped to comfortably house two guests and small families with young children.
The style emphasizes a sensual blend of local colors, textures, and materials in a manner that renders the structure an integral part of its environmental surroundings. Traditional hardwoods with elements of tropical modernism set the mood for a calming tropical oasis.
Included in your stay at Mark and Dave's!
Nicaragua is an outdoor enthusiasts dream. With an obscenely consistent temperature range and weather pattern, not only is the wind almost always offshore, the waves are almost always pumping. Most guests prefer to enjoy the amenities, waves, fishing and golf around the resort; however, for those who want to explore what else Nicaragua has to offer, there is a multitude of additional activities for the adventure seeker: local hot springs at Las Salinas; historic sites in Grenada; canopy tours; Lake Nicaragua excursion; Mombacho volcano exploration; or get touristy in the nearby fishing village of San Juan Del Sur. They are happy to help coordinate any of these items for your group via our event coordinator on the ground in Nicaragua, who will be there to meet the group upon arrival.
Golf: Mark and Dave's is located within a two-minute walk from one of Nicaragua's premier golf courses -- a great activity after a long surf session. A beautiful course with breathtaking tees like #5, perched high atop a hill overlooking the entire beach. With its small, tiered greens, it's definitely worth a few rounds during your visit. Feel free to bring your own clubs or rent a set from the pro shop.
Members and Mark and Dave's guests:
-$20 Playing Fee (pull cart included; mention that you're staying at Mark and Dave's for membership pricing); $25 with golf cart, $20 golf club rental. Pricing subject to change without notice.
Fishing: Nicaragua's Pacific coast offers incredible fishing: tuna, dorado, red snapper, jack trevalle, mackerel, mahi, roosterfish and sailfish. The best fishing is October-March, and there are a variety of options from deep-sea fishing to a near-shore spear fishing mission. Contact their staff and they'll help facilitate a fishing adventure. There's no need to bring any of your own equipment. Just grab a case of beer and a few friends, and head out to the open ocean for the day. Prices start around $140 for half-day trips and go up depending on services and availability. Pricing subject to change without notice.
Kim and Zac at Mark and Dave’s Surf and Yoga Resort Nicaragua
Surf and yoga resort managers, Zac and Kim Hyland, have turned the cliché of living the dream into a reality. When Zac and Kim left New Zealand on their honeymoon more than seven years ago they transferred their individual passions and love for travel into full time jobs.
Kim, a qualified yoga instructor and physical therapist, Zac a Qualified Surf instructor and Chef, have experienced how opportunities have presented themselves to do what they love whilst traveling.
How to Book:
1. THERE ARE FOUR WAYS TO MAKE A RESERVATION
A. BOOK ONLINE: Click the "BOOK ONLINE" button on the right side or bottom fo your desired destination/option and follow the instructions to make a deposit using our secure online reservation system.
B. SUBMIT A TRIP INQUIRY: Fill out the "Trip Inquiry" form on the right side of the page or under the "Booking Info" section on the top menu. Wavehunters will get back to you as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.
C. SEND US AN E-MAIL: Send your questions and trip inquiries to email@example.com.
D. GIVE US A CALL: We are located in Carlsbad, California, USA. 760-494-7391
2. CONFIRM DATES AND MAKE DEPOSIT: Before you book online please double check that the trip you want and the dates you need match up. If you make a reservation online you will pay the deposit by credit card. We can also process credit cards offline, take checks made out to "Wavehunters Surf Travel", and we accept wire transfers, cashier's checks, money orders, or direct deposits.
3. SEND US YOUR INFORMATION: During the booking process we strive to make everything as simple and easy as possible. When you're ready to make your reservation please have your passport ready as we will need the number, expiration date, and country of issue. We will also need your flight itinerary (if we do not help set it up) as well as a few destination specific questions. If you are travleing with a group please specify the number of people in your group and their names.
4. MAKE FLIGHT RESERVATIONS (AS NEEDED): Wavehunters is a full service travel agency capable of handling all of our guest’s flight arrangements. Each destination typically requires a specific flight itinerary that needs to be confirmed by Wavehunters prior to departure. If you don’t have the time or inclination to deal with setting up your flight arrangements Wavehunters will be happy to coordinate them for you.
5. MAKE FINAL PAYMENT: You final payment is due two to four months prior to your trip's departure depending on which trip you are on. Once that's in along with the requested information you're all set to go!
6. SHOW UP: Rule #1 is to remember to not miss your flight and remember to have a passport with at least 6 months left before the expiration date.
7. SURF: Once you're at your destination the only thing you should have to to worry about is what board you should ride and where to surf. Have fun!